Kimi Murakami advises clients on corporate, business and nonprofit matters, and specializes in mergers and acquisitions for government contractors. She provides counsel on corporate transactional matters for businesses including asset and stock acquisitions, mergers, and corporate restructuring.
Ms. Murakami also has experience in government regulatory matters such as novations of government contracts, small business size, affiliation and recertification issues, and structuring joint ventures for 8(a) concerns and other small business government contractors. She counsels clients on corporate formation and governance issues, and a variety of other commercial matters, including trademark and trade secrets, licensing agreements, commercial lending and bank financing, and nonprofit organization and governance.
Ms. Murakami is also General Counsel to the National Japanese-American Memorial Foundation.
- Represents clients as buyers and sellers in stock and asset acquisitions (domestic and international), including due diligence and preparation of all sale and purchase documents and instruments
- Advises clients on corporate restructuring transactions, including preparation of merger documents
- Represents clients on corporate formation and structuring matters such as limited liability companies and joint ventures and preparing operating agreements and other governance documents
- Counsels clients as borrowers and lenders on commercial financing matters, including preparation of all loan documents and security instruments
- Drafts instruments relating to general trademark matters and licensing agreements
- Advises non-profit organizations on corporate governance matters
Prior to joining PilieroMazza, Ms. Murakami practiced with Piper & Marbury, now DLA Piper, as a member of their public finance group working on municipal bond financing transactions where she represented state and local government entities and underwriters on securities, municipal bond law, and federal tax issues. Pursuant to an exchange program with Piper, Ms. Murakami also spent a year in Japan practicing with Mori Sogo Law Offices where she worked on international corporate transactions, before returning to Piper’s corporate and securities group to advise clients on commercial and financial matters.
- Webinar Presenter, "Intellectual Property Issues for Government Contractors," Jun. 15, 2016 (with Cy Alba)
- Webinar Presenter, "Government Contracts Mergers and Acquisitions 101," ABA Section of Public Contract Law, Young Lawyers Division, Government and Public Sector Lawyers Division, and Center for Professional Development, Jan. 12, 2016
- Webina Presenterr, "Data Rights for Government Contractors," Jun. 30, 2015 (with Cy Alba)
- Speaker, "Introduction to Intellectual Property Rights for Government Contractors," Procurement Technical Assistance Program at George Mason University, Mar. 3, 2015
- Presenter, “What Every Business Should Know About Keeping Its Corporate House in Order,” Prince George’s County Economic Development Corporation, Nov. 5, 2014, Nov. 19, 2013 and Jul. 18, 2012
- Webinar Presenter. "Novations and Contract Transfers," Nov. 4, 2014, (with Cy Alba)
- Webinar Presenter, "Understanding the SBA's Affiliation Rules," Feb. 4, 2014 (with Jon Williams)
- "Regulatory Issues for Acquisitions of Government Contracts by Non-US Buyers," Pilieromazza PLLC Legal Advisor, First Quarter 2016
- "At the Crossroads of M&A and Government Contracts - The Novation Process," PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, Fourth Quarter 2014 and Law360, Nov. 19, 2014
- "Protecting Your Website - The Eight Things You Should Know," PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, Second Quarter 2014
- "New Year's resolutions for your small business," Set-Aside Alert, Jan. 10, 2014
- "Protecting Your Trade Secrets," PilieroMazza PLLC Legal Advisor, Third Quarter 2013